Have you always thought/dreamt about flying?

For many, the dream of learning to fly may be one they start in their late teens or it may be one they fulfil later in life when they can afford to do so. Men and women alike fulfil their passion for flying.

Helicopter or fixed wing?

How do you decide?

Take an introductory flight in both and see which you fall in love with?

For the team at Heli Addiction the choice is simple – HELICOPTERS!

Where do I go to learn

Right across Australia, there are many schools offering the practical and theory you need to get either your private licence or commercial licence. We have several schools listed in the Heli Addiction Directory.

The first step is the trial introductory flight where you will be able to get hands-on, literally. You get to take the controls alongside and professional instructor and decide if you are hooked on flying helicopters.

Australian Helicopter School provides the following information:

Australian Helicopter School – Kickstart your pilot training today.

A private licence is suited to those who wish to fly for pleasure. It will allow you to fly an Australian registered helicopter anywhere within Australia.

The requirements for a private licence are:
* Achieve a minimum 50 hours flight experience in accordance with our CASA approved flight training syllabus
* Pass a Class 2 aviation medical examination
* Demonstrate adequate aeronautical knowledge by passing a single theory exam
* Pass a practical flight test

A commercial licence is suited to those who wish to fly as a career It allows you to fly for financial reward (i.e. work as a helicopter pilot).

The requirements for a commercial licence are:
* Achieve a minimum 105* hours flight experience in accordance with our CASA approved flight training syllabus
* Pass a Class 1 aviation medical examination
* Demonstrate adequate aeronautical knowledge by passing a set of theory exams
* Pass a practical flight test The last 30 hours of which must be completed within 90 days

The aeronautical experience (50 hours for the private licence, 105 hours for the commercial licence) are the minimum allowable hours, as dictated by the Civil Aviation Safety Authority. It would be sensible to allow a little more than the minimum to cater for differing student abilities.

If you have previous flying experience such as a fixed-wing licence, then there is a reduction on the number of hours required to convert to the helicopter pilot licence. A pass in the helicopter theory examination is a pre-requisite to obtaining a licence.

Although not very complex, there is a large volume of material which must be learnt. Theory training is undertaken in conjunction with Advanced Flight Theory and Heli Theory Australia, whom we have shared a relationship for over ten years. We will order the theory books from AFT at the appropriate time during your training – typically within the first ten hours. AFT is recognized throughout Australia as specialists in the field of aviation training.

The following subjects form the theory training syllabus:
* Meteorology
* Navigation
* Air Law
* Aerodynamics
* Operations, Performance and Planning
* Aircraft General Knowledge
* Human Factors
There are two options for completing the theory:
1) Self-study
2) Full-time ground school with Heli Theory Australia
Self-study has proven to be the most popular option as it enables students to undertake study at a time that suits them. If any problems areas arise during studying, then we are always available to provide assistance. However, if you are having difficulties finding the time to study, or you have general problems understanding some of the topics, we can arrange for students to undertake intensive full-time training directly with Heli Theory Australia.

Above content supplied from Australian Helicopter School November 2020. 

Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA)

CASA does not require any person undertaking an Australian pilot’s licence to hold formal educational qualifications. The education level required to pass the Private Pilot’s licence exams is well within the scope of the average person.

However, if you are undertaking the Commercial or higher Flight Crew Licence you may find it difficult to pass the examinations unless you have a strong background knowledge of Physics, Mathematics and English. The absence of this background could be overcome by undertaking theory training at a reputable theory training centre or theory provider. In addition, it should be noted that airlines generally require passes at High School Certificate level in Physics and Mathematics, although this may vary between companies. It is a good idea to contact employers in the area of aviation where you may wish to follow a career and check what their requirements are. Some may even suggest you investigate the various diplomas or degrees in aviation on offer from a number of universities.

CASA a government body that regulates Australian aviation safety and the operation of Australian aircraft overseas. They employ about 800 people working across Australia to keep our skies safe for all.

They license pilots, register aircraft, oversee aviation safety and promote safety awareness.  CASA is also responsible for making sure that Australian airspace is administered and used safely.

CASA was established in July 1995 as an independent statutory authority. They operate within a legislative framework made up of acts, regulations, associated legislative instruments and guidance material.

Their role is described in the Civil Aviation Act 1988which also forms the basis of the Civil Aviation Safety RegulationsThese regulations are broken into parts, which may have an associated Manual of Standards, as well as supporting guidance materials.

Together with the Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Communications, and Airservices Australia, they constitute a tripartite structure for providing safe aviation in Australia.